Monday, December 05, 2005

Government Waste

We know that there are plenty of examples of government waste. The bridge to nowhere is often cited, and yesterday on Meet the Press I heard them talking about using Homeland Security money to air condition garbage trucks. But I have never seen a comprehensive list detailing all of the money our federal government wastes. It would be nice to see some prominent politicians, journalists, economists, businesspeople, etc get behind such a study. Hire a company - or a few companies - to research every entity within the government and then release an all-encompassing report to the American people. This would have to be marketed as a major study supported by a large, diverse group of people. Surely that would get politicians (and citzens) to think twice before wasting more money.

Or would it? Either way it is something that should be done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

In theory this sounds like a great idea. The question is what is waste, what is pork. I mean I think that a bridge to no where is waste, but a large number of U.S. Senators seemed to disagree. I think that a paper museum(for paper not made of it) is WI is waste, but Congress
did not. Now these I think most rational people would consider waste, but what about one trillion dollars to try to explore space you would get good arguments on both sides saying why this is and isn't wasteful. "waste" in my opinion is too subjective. Maybe you are thinking of different kinds of waste than I am, but do you see what I mean?

Point 2 is totally unrelated, but is easier than starting new posts. Everyone seems to be on the McCain bandwagon, but Allen the Senator from VA seems better to me. I seldom hear of Allen being a moderate, but he is loved by Democrats too(reminds me more of our ideal leader than the famously moderate McCain).

12/05/2005 5:09 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

You are right, waste would have to be a subjective term. But I think you could get a group of reasonable-minded people to agree on what really was waste and there would still be plenty of examples. Some might think Medicare is waste, but obviously that would not be included in this hypothetical study. However, you would include specific examples where Medicare funds were being inappropriately spent.

THis would also have to include areas where services were rendered for a much higher cost than what one would expect to pay. There are plenty of examples of this.

12/05/2005 6:03 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

It sounds good to me. The key would be getting people who would not seem biased. Basically a 9-11 commission (which I saw as biased, but I think most people didn't)but have it made up of business people, educators, and experts with a few politicians thrown in.

12/06/2005 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home