Monday, November 07, 2005

Elections 2005

Hi everyone...I was talking to my mom about the elections tomorrow (she was complaining about the levies in Delhi again among other things-she is a solid Republican and just doesn't know it). Anywho-she was asking me about the issues (1,2,3, and 4) and I admitably wasn't able to talk about them in a very informed fashion (instinctively I know they are bad) as I think she was looking for me to reassure her not to vote for them. The only local race that I have followed at all is that of mayor in Cincinnati. So if someone could speak to these-I'd appreciate it.

In light of this here are some other important elections tomorrow-if you have some (I don't care if they are in West Chester or California) add on or start another post.

Cincinnati Mayor's race-State Sen Mark Mallory vs David Pepper. Personally I'd vote for Mallory. I think Pepper (although perhaps closer ideologically) just isn't as passionate about the City as Mallory and doesn't have the proven record. Mallory has support from many state house Republicans (which is good and bad in my book) while Pepper has the business community's support (probably largely because of his dad) and the endorsement of the newspapers. My feeling is Pepper merely wants to use this as a stepping stone for his political future-Mallory couldn't go much further than Cincinnati mayor. Pepper has really not done anything significant in his life to this point (he graduated from Yale...bought a City Council seat at a young age-that's about it). Mallory is very successful as a Democrat in a Republican-dominated legislature.

Pepper has the money-but has been going negative for a while which makes me think Mallory might have the numbers. Pepper just recently aired a positive ad which means the negative campaigning is polling even worse or maybe things have reversed? We shall see.

New York mayor's race-here we basically have no race to speak of. It is Bloomberg vs. Ferrer...Bloomberg even has the union support. Ferrer is Latino, but Bloomberg is polling really well among that block even. This is going to be a serious rout. I must say that it is interesting to see the campaigning here in vibrant NYC. Bloomberg has campaign materials in about 10 different languages...a bit different than Bush's Spanish campaigning.

Lately Ferrer has been trying to highlight dirty parks and subway stations and has shown up to do press events twice only to have Bloomberg undercut him by cleaning the station or park beforehand. Ferrer then whines about that to the press (but seems like a whiny...well you know)...

I'll try to post some more later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellis Wyatt said...

Here is an excellent site to learn about the Amazing RON (Reform Ohio Now).

http://www.theamazingron.com/

Nathan, you're trying to pick out the best Democrat? I don't think the race really matters. For the foreseeable future, the city is, for a lack of a better word, screwed. It's such a cluster down there, I don't know what they need to straighten them out. It's not Mallory and it's not Pepper.

11/07/2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Hey at some point you have to pick the lesser of two evils...I think this is a question of who will screw the city the least...my answer to which is Mallory. But in the end it probably doesn't matter.

11/07/2005 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home